For my January leadership panel, I had the pleasure of speaking with Thespina Fletcher, Director of Customer Success at CloudHealth by VMware, and Joel Tealer, Chief Human Resources Officer at Global Benefits Group.
I hope it won’t come as a surprise to anyone reading this that, in general, employees don’t leave companies; they leave managers. This is what makes this topic so important. My goal for our monthly panels is to talk about leadership and what we can do to improve it so that companies attract and retain the best employees. There are always great ideas that you can put into practice, so give it a listen:
Some of the topics we discussed included:
- As leaders what are you doing in your organizations to develop your leaders?
- What are you doing to improve your own leadership skills?
- Do you use in house leadership programs, outside programs, or a combination of both?
- Have you experienced the effects of poorly trained leaders in your org?
- Have you calculated the costs of employees leaving due to poor managers?
- Where was your org when you took over in your current role and when are you now from the standpoint of leadership development and retention?
A huge thank you to both Joel and Thespina for generously giving their time to talk with me. And if you know of any leaders who would make a great addition to The Leadership Series, please have them reach out to me directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)